For most people, ironing clothes ranks high among their least favorite activities.
We simply don’t enjoy bending over the ironing board for more than three minutes and would rather spend as little time as possible ironing our shirts.
This is one of the reasons why most people prefer a steamer to the iron, even when ironing a dress shirt.
While ironing may take an entire afternoon, steaming takes no time. All you need to do while steaming is to hang the shirt on a rod and steam away the creases and wrinkles.
Also, dress shirts are made of delicate fabric such as silk and cotton which can easily be damaged by ironing, which crushes the delicate fibers of the textile and may cause irreparable damage to your favorite shirt.
A steamer, on the other hand, doesn’t come into direct contact with the fragile material of the shirt. It simply relaxes the textile fibers without damaging your shirt.
It helps to keep your dress shirts looking smooth and brand new without shortening the shirts’ lifespan.
With so many brands and models of garment steamers on the market today, it may be difficult to choose the best one for your dress shirts.
To help you make an informed choice, here are our three top picks.
Best Steamer for Dress Shirts Reviews
Jiffy J-2000 – The Premium Option
If you are interested in a durable full-size steamer for all types of clothes including delicate fabrics such as silk shirts, then the Jiffy Steamer J-2000 is a good choice.
Some of its key features include:
- It is a 1300-watt wand steamer capable of removing wrinkles from fabric with ease
- It heats up in just a minute
- Ample 6-inch wide heads with high-velocity steam jets
- It comes with a 62 inches high aluminum rod to hang your clothes while steaming
- It has a removable water tank
- It has automatic shut off features for enhanced safety
- For easy portability, the steamer has rolling casters and a convenient stay cool wand handle.The price is more than fair
The Jiffy Steamer J-2000 is known for its outstanding workmanship.
Most professionals use Jiffy products and in interviews they only ever express full satisfaction with its performance.
Rowenta IS6520 Master Valet – Value for Money Option
The Rowenta IS6520 is an innovative steamer that uses ‘roll and press’ patented technology. It has a beautiful design too.
Some of its key features include:
- It’s powered by 1500 Watts
- Safe to use on delicate fabrics
- A large tank that gives you one hour of steaming time for every filling
- Comes with a built-in hanger complete with a hook and clips
- A flexible hose and a stay cool handle
- It has a telescopic pole whose height can easily be adjusted
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
The Rowenta IS6520 heats up quite fast. You’ll begin steaming in just 45 seconds.
It has a water tank capacity of 2.5 liters that gives you more than 80 minutes of steaming before the next refill.
It also produces ample, powerful steam given that it has 1500 watts of power.
Ticwell Essential – The Professional Choice
The Ticwell Essential is a heavy-duty, professional-grade fabric steamer with an advanced even-steam nozzle design.
With a highly innovative and optimized heating system, the steamer heats faster and provides a more stable steam output.
The steam produced gently removes dirt from fabrics, while the self-cleaning function effectively reduces dirt residues.
Some of Ticwell Essential’s key features include:
- You can choose from three powerful steam levels plus a self-cleaning mode.
- The device heats up in just 20 seconds.
- It has a maximum steam temperature of 302 degrees Fahrenheit with a power usage rating of 1600 watts.
- With a 90-degree swivel on the steamer head and a steam trigger lock on the handle, the device enables usage safety and flexibility.
- The Ticwell Essential Steamer offers continuous usage for 90 minutes with its 2.4-liter water tank.
- You can detach the water tank for portability and convenient refills.
- Enjoy the convenience of ironing garments and fabrics using the adjustable pole on the dual clothes hangers.
- The device comes with a silicon-sealed flexible hose that prevents water leaks round the clock.
- The ten-hole steam outlet and ceramic heating technology provide a broader steam stream for superior wrinkle removal and ironing efficiency.
Convenient accessories include a hanger with a hanger hook, a trouser stretcher, and one protective glove.
Homever 2021 Upgraded – Best Option for Home Use
The Homever Clothes and Garment Steamer has been upgraded this year for heavy-duty applications.
Although it is also a professional-grade device, I highly recommend it for home use.
It heats up pretty fast, and its nano dry steam technology proves far better than ordinary ironing.
With it, you can have your clothes and fabrics ready for a prim and proper look.
Let’s highlight some of the features the Homever Steamer offers.
- Like the Ticwell Essential, the Homever Steamer uses 1600 watts of power to produce steam temperatures up to 302 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The device heats up within 20 and 25 seconds, which makes it more effective than ironing.
- Another similarity with the Ticwell Essential is the Homever’s three adjustable steam levels and its self-cleaning function.
- Its 90-degree swivel lets you shift between vertical or horizontal ironing.
- Unlike the Ticwell Essential, the Homever has a larger tank capacity of 2.6 liters, allowing continuous use for more than 90 minutes.
- The tank is also detachable, which means you can conveniently refill it without carrying the whole steamer.
- This device is excellent for wool, sink, cotton, linen, cashmere, and synthetic fabrics.
The Homever Steamer comes with an anti-scalding hose, an adjustable stainless steel pole, a trouser stretcher, and a clothes hanger.
You will also find a protective anti-scald glove and a steam lock on the handle for increased safety.
Finally, we like that the Homever Steamer comes with a two-year replacement guarantee.
Steamfast SF-407 – The Low Budget Option
If you’re having a hard time keeping your fabrics clean and wrinkle-free and you don’t want to spend too much, check out the Steamfast SF-407.
Switching from ironing to steaming doesn’t have to cost you an arm or a leg.
The Steamfast SF-407 is a very affordable fabric steamer equipped to clean and refresh fabrics at home and on the fly.
Some of the features of the Steamfast SF-407 include:
- The Steamfast SF-407 uses 1500 watts to heat up in 45 seconds.
- It comes with a telescopic pole, an attachable fabric brush, a cool-touch fabric hose, and a clothes hanger hook.
- You can adjust the pole to different heights for optimal comfort and storage.
- Use the attachable fabric brush to remove dirt and particles, such as lint, loose threads, and hairs.
- Thirteen steam nozzles produce a steady line of steam to make ironing convenient.
- The included removable water tank has a 40-ounce capacity, giving you a continuous steaming time of 45 minutes.
The Steamfast SF-407 is the perfect entry-level household tool for removing wrinkles and odors from clothes, linens, upholstery, curtains, and other fabrics.
Although it doesn’t come with a clothes hanger or a trouser stretcher, the included hanger hook can accommodate any hangers you have at home.
Considering features, design, and performance, the Rowenta IS6520 tops our list of the best garment steamers for dress shirts.
Its large water reservoir and 1500-watt steaming power make the Rowenta IS6520 a perfect choice for anyone who wants to replace the traditional ironing board, while its steam is suitable for the delicate fabrics you find on expensive shirts
I bought the Rowenta myself, and it works great. I mostly use it to give a garment a quick once-over and get rid of 80% of the wrinkles.
If you need a super-crisp dress shirt (for a job interview, for example) then I’d recommend buying an over-the-door press pad so you can really work the creases:
How to Fold a Dress Shirt