One of the most irritating and potentially costly home situations is a clogged drain. Whether you’re making hair sculptures on the side of the shower or standing ankle-deep in backed-up water, you know you’re miserable when you don’t have an effective drain protector. A few things to consider before you start shopping for that elusive accessory that will help you once again enjoy your shower:
- What kind of drain cover do you need? Do you have a shower stall or a tub drain? If it’s a tub, does it have a pop-up plug? You want to ensure you purchase a drain cover that fits your set up.
- Do you want a hair catcher that sits on top of the drain or fits inside the drain? If you have a tub set up, the hair catcher that sits on top of the drain catches hair on the top; the models that sit in the drain collect hair invisibly until you’re ready to clean.
- What material is the hair catcher made of? Depending on the material, the hair catcher may be more or less adaptable to your particular drain – and sometimes you have to measure your drain before buying.
Let’s explore some of the top hair catchers on the market today.
Our Best Shower Hair Catcher Reviews and Comparisons
TubShroom fits standard tub drains, from 1.5 inches to 1.75 inches. It fits right in your drain, not on top, so the hair collects underneath, invisible until you’re ready to take out the TubShroom to clean off all the collected hair.
This product catches all types of hair, so it prevents clogs, which saves you money and prevents your loved ones from exposure to the chemicals of harsh drain cleaners.
Winner of a 2018 KBB Product Innovator Award Winner, TubShroom has a patented design that gives you the results you’re looking for.
- Hair stays out of sight
- Easy cleaning
- 60-day guarantee
What We Like About TubShroom
TubShroom fits inside your drain and catches all types of hair inside, which means you don’t have to see all the hair collecting on top while you’re showering.
Once you’re done showering, it’s easy cleanup – you just pull out the TubShroom and pull off the hair that has gathered around it.
What We Don’t Like About TubShroom
If you don’t clean it often, TubShroom may get moldy. Cleaning the collected hair can be smelly.
- No clogs = no harsh chemicals
- Catches all types of hair
- Easy installation and removal for cleanup
- Great value
- Does not disrupt water flow
- Have to clean after every shower
- Slimy if you clean when hair is wet
2. OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector
This product is for a stand-alone shower stall. It fits securely over the shower drain and doesn’t get in the way of your shower.
The OXO Good Grips stay in place and blocks hair from going down the drain without stopping the water flow.
The OXO Good Grips are 4.75” L and 4.75” W.
- Blocks hair not water
- Installs over the drain
- Slip-proof silicone rim
- Easy cleaning
What We Like About OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector
The OXO Good Grips Shower Stall Drain Protector keeps hair from clogging your drain, eliminating the need for harsh drain cleaners, and calls to the plumber.
This product covers the drain completely and it’s easy to wipe the hair off the top. We like that the water flow down the drain is not interrupted by this drain protector.
What We Don’t Like About OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector
While OXO claims full hair catching ability, some types of hair slide under. You may have to bend the product to get it to fit properly.
- Wipe clean
- Stainless steel
- Good water flow
- Prevents clogs
- May have to modify to get it to fit your drain
- No seal
3. OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
This version of OXO Good Grips is for tub drains. Like our number 2 product, this model catches hair without disrupting the flow of water down your drain.
The dome shape allows for use with flat and pop-up drains. It has a weight stainless steel feature that keeps it in place over the drain and the edges rest on the tub so that hair doesn’t slide underneath.
- Both flat and pop-up drains get full coverage from the tall dome design
- Weighted to maintain its location
- Combination silicone and stainless steel
- Catches hair without water flow disruption
What We Like About OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
It’s great that this drain protector fits a variety of drains, and if yours is not the type that can have a drain protector inserted, this one that rests on top is a good option.
The weighted stainless steel feature makes sure that the drain protector doesn’t slip out of place while you’re showering.
What We Don’t Like About OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
Straight hair goes through the holes in the OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector.
- Prevents bugs from crawling up the drain
- Stays in place
- Fits most drains
- Doesn’t disrupt the flow of water
- Drain holes don’t trap straight hair
- Some hair escapes underneath the drain protector
4. LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
The LEKEYE drain hair catcher prevents hair from going down the drain, preventing clogs, and pipe damage. This model is for shower stalls.
The LEKEYE drain protector is rustproof due to the stainless steel construction. It stays in place with silicone so you don’t have to worry about the water dislodging it. Its 4.5-inch diameter fits standard drains.
- Elliptical holes grab hair and allow water flow
- Sturdy stainless steel and silicone construction
- Full coverage for shower stalls
- Won’t rust
What We Like About LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
The LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher is perfect for shower stalls that have a larger drain than tub units. It traps hair and saves costly plumber visits and protects you from having to use harsh chemicals.
You don’t have to be embarrassed when you have guests. This product doesn’t rust and looks new in your shower even after you’ve had it for a long time.
We like that the catching mechanism doesn’t slow the water flow down the drain.
What We Don’t Like About LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
Placed as is, it might not be tight enough over the drain to catch hair; you might have to step on it or bend it to make it fit properly.
- Effective in catching hair
- Great value
- No interruption of water flow
- Well made
- Won’t work in a tub unit
- Some hair slips through
5. Danco Tub Drain Protector Hair Catcher
With its flower-shaped design, the Danco Bathtub Drain Hair Catcher and Strainer catches and traps hair before it can clog your drain. This catcher traps hair in the silicone petals of the flower and the design prevents stinky and slimy hair.
The Danco Bathtub Drain Hair Catcher and Strainer install easily and have a handle for easy removal and cleaning.
- Sits on top of the drain
- Innovative flower design traps hair
- Fits bathtub drains up to 4.5 inches wide
- Prevents clogged drains
- Discourages soap scum buildup
What We Like About Danco Tub Drain Protector Hair Catcher
The white finish and flower design are an attractive addition to bathroom decor.
We like that the Danco doesn’t leave you with smelly and slimy soap-scum hair to clean. Because it sits on top of the drain, it’s easy to clean hair off.
What We Don’t Like About Danco Tub Drain Protector Hair Catcher
Because of its shape, it may not work with pop-up drains. The edges of this product curl after time, decreasing effectiveness.
- Handle for easy removal and cleaning
- Nice design
- Great value
- Effective hair trapping
- Edges curl up as plastic wears
- Improper fit reduces efficacy
6. DrainWig Shower Drain Protectors
DrainWig is a patented disposable hair catcher that gained its popularity on the hit show Shark Tank. With no effort, you can get rid of both grime and hair from your shower drain.
This product offers a hygienic option because you can just dispose of the whole thing instead of having to detach the hair from the unit.
- Disposable design is more hygienic because you don’t have to touch the hair
- No cleaning necessary
- Fits standard shower drains
- Catches hair in rubber “whiskers”
What We Like About DrainWig Shower Drain Protectors
This no-mess solution means you can just throw out the whole thing with the hair – a huge bonus. No one likes to touch slimy hair from the drain.
We like that these are inexpensive enough to replace every 2-4 months.
The DrainWig does not restrict the flow of water down the drain.
What We Don’t Like About DrainWig Shower Drain Protectors
If the chain rusts, you lose the chain and all the hair down the drain. May not fit over a tub drain.
- Collects all the hair
- Easy to change
- Good value for the money
- Avoids chemicals
- Can be smelly when you remove
- Chain snaps
7. SlipX Solutions Stop-A-Clog Drain Protectors
SlipX Solutions hair catcher and drain protector catches hair but doesn’t obstruct water flow. You can use it with tub and shower drains, and it’s adaptable for kitchen and laundry drains, too.
SlipX Solutions rinses clean but is also top-rack dishwasher safe. Dimensions: 3″ inner diameter, 5 1/4″ outer diameter, 1″ depth.
- Fits over standard shower and tub drains
- Traps even fine hair to prevent drain clogs
- Dishwasher safe (top rack)
- Catches hair without restricting water flow
What We Like About SlipX Solutions Stop-A-Clog Drain Protectors
The hair wraps around the base of the domed inner part of the unit so that all you need to do is pull the hair away from the base.
A two-year life for this type of product is great and makes it a good value for the money. If it starts to get moldy or slimy, you can toss it in the top shelf of the dishwasher or soak it in vinegar and water.
What We Don’t Like About SlipX Solutions Stop-A-Clog Drain Protectors
Although SlipX Solutions fits shower and tub drains, it will not work with pop-up drain stoppers.
- Easy to place and clean
- Can be used in multiple drain types
- Traps all hair types
- Suction cups hard to press down
- Hair catching is mediocre
8. Hair Snare Drain Cover
Hair-Snare Drain Cover is easy to install. Wet the area, and with the cone facing up, lay the unit across the drain. The Hair-Snare traps hair before it clogs your drain, and even prevents contact lenses and jewelry from getting lost forever.
This product accommodates pop-up drains. The total width of the product is 5″. The tapered cone measures 2 3/8″ at the bottom and 1 5/8″ at the top; it’s 3/4″ tall.
- Catches hair and other small items
- Stays in place
- Sturdy but flexible construction
- Easy to clean
What We Like About Hair Snare Drain Cover
This strainer is really effective and catches human and pet hair. The water that sits on the top weighs it down to seal it to the drain. Designed to fit a pop-up tub drain.
What We Don’t Like About Hair Snare Drain Cover
The holes are so small that it doesn’t allow water to flow freely and the water often backs up around your ankles.
- Doesn’t slide
- Collects hair (pet and human)
- Sits on top of the drain
- Smart design: water weights unit down
- Collected hair clogs water flow
- Not for use in shower stall
9. Uxoz Drain Hair Catche
Made of stainless steel, the Uxoz drain hair catcher won’t rust, and it doesn’t collect soap scum as plastic units do.
Uxoz sits in the drain, so the hair is hidden from view until you’re ready to clean it out.
The Uxoz hair catcher makes two different paths – one for the water and one for the hair. There’s a rubber ring that attracts the hair and the water is able to flow freely through the other path.
This product comes in two sizes, so be sure to measure your drain. The small size fits 1-1.42” interior and the large 1.35-1.75” fits inner diameter.
- Stainless steel construction
- Available in two sizes
- Sits in the drain and hides hair
- Doesn’t collect soap scum
What We Like About Uxoz Drain Hair Catcher
This stainless steel hair catcher is easier to clean and doesn’t get slimy like some of the plastic ones. We like that the Uxoz catches the hair under the drain, so it’s not visible until you remove it for cleaning.
It’s adaptable to different size drains with a rubber ring attachment.
What We Don’t Like About Uxoz Drain Hair Catcher
The hair that the Uxoz catches also blocks water from draining, meaning you end up in standing water while you’re showering.
- Sturdy stainless steel
- Doesn’t collect soap scum
- Prevents clogs
- Catches hair under the drain
- Doesn’t fit all tubs
- Doesn’t catch all hair
10. Umbra Starfish Drain Cover
This adorable starfish drain cover was designed to suction to your tub just like a starfish suctions to the ocean floor – it has five suction points to make sure it stays in place and that no hair gets under this drain cover.
Made of silicone, it won’t rust and is resistant to water. After you shower, you can just collect the hair from the top of the starfish and dispose of it.
Turn it to the side when you’re not using it so it doesn’t mildew.
- Tight water-resistant seal
- Attractive starfish design
- Easy to install
- No rust
What We Like About Umbra Starfish Drain Cover
Because this drain cover is larger and goes on top of the drain, it fits many different drain sizes, so you don’t have to measure your drain before ordering. The silicone material won’t rust, it’s effective and easy to install.
What We Don’t Like About Umbra Starfish Drain Cover
The hair sits on top of the drain catcher and often slips under the catcher. This product may not suction on all surfaces.
- Fits over large or raised drains
- Comes in multiple colors (surf blue, black, white)
- Suction stays in place
- Won’t suction on textured tubs
- More hair gets under than on top
TubShroom is an all-around winner. It goes inside the drain, not outside, and all those disgusting hairs (yes, even though they’re yours!) are hidden underneath, wrapping around the TubShroom, invisible until you pull it out to remove the hair.
Yes, you still have to clean the hair off, but it’s better than pulling the hair directly out of the drain and definitely better than using a harsh drain cleaner or calling an expensive plumber.
This product won an innovation award, and it really works, catching all kinds of hair. It’s easy to collect the gathered hair to clean it (although it works best if you let the hair dry before removing.
We love that this product doesn’t disrupt the water flow while it’s collecting hairs. You won’t even notice it’s there, what you will notice is the water is not backing up around your ankles!