For most people, ironing clothes ranks high among their least favorite activities.
We simply don’t enjoy bending over the ironing board for more than three minutes and would rather spend as little time as possible ironing our shirts.
This is one of the reasons why most people prefer a steamer to the iron, even when ironing a dress shirt.
While ironing may take an entire afternoon, steaming takes no time. All you need to do while steaming is to hang the shirt on a rod and steam away the creases and wrinkles.
Also, dress shirts are made of delicate fabric such as silk and cotton which can easily be damaged by ironing, which crushes the delicate fibers of the textile and may cause irreparable damage to your favorite shirt.
A steamer, on the other hand, doesn’t come into direct contact with the fragile material of the shirt. It simply relaxes the textile fibers without damaging your shirt.
It helps to keep your dress shirts looking smooth and brand new without shortening the shirts’ lifespan.
With so many brands and models of garment steamers on the market today, it may be difficult to choose the best one for your dress shirts.
To help you make an informed choice, here are our three top picks.
|Product||Type||Power||Heat up Time||Our Rating||Latest Price|
< 1 minute
Jiffy J-2000 – The Premium Option
If you are interested in a durable steamer for all types of clothes including delicate fabrics such as silk shirts, then the Jiffy Steamer J-2000 is a good choice.
Some of its key features include:
- It is a 1300-watt wand steamer capable of removing wrinkles from fabric with ease
- It heats up in just a minute
- Ample 6-inch wide heads with high velocity steam jets
- It comes with a 62 inches high aluminum rod to hang your clothes while steaming
- It has a removable water tank
- It has an automatic shut off features for enhanced safety
- For easy portability, the steamer has rolling casters and a convenient stay cool wand handle.The price is more than fair
The Jiffy Steamer J-2000 is known for its outstanding workmanship.
Most professionals use Jiffy products and in interviews they only ever express full satisfaction with its performance.
Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet – Value for Money Option
The Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet is an innovative steamer that uses ‘roll and press’ patented technology. It has a beautiful design too.
Some of its key features include:
- It’s powered by 1550 Watts
- Safe to use on delicate fabrics
- A large tank that gives you one hour of steaming time for every filling
- Comes with a built-in hanger complete with a hook and clips
- A flexible hose and a stay cool handle
- It has a telescopic pole whose height can easily be adjusted
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
The Rowenta IS6300 heats up quite fast. You’ll begin steaming in just 1 minute.
It has a large 80-ounce water reservoir that gives you more than an hour of steaming before the next refill.
It also produces ample, powerful steam given that it has 1550 watts of power.
Considering features, design, and performance, the Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet Garment Steamer tops our list of the best garment steamers for dress shirts.
Its large water reservoir and 1550-watt steaming power make the Rowenta I6300 Master Valet a perfect choice for anyone who wants to replace the traditional ironing board, while its steam is suitable for the delicate fabrics you find on expensive shirts
I bought the Rowenta myself, and it works great. I mostly use it to give a garment a quick once-over and get rid of 80% of the wrinkles.
If you need a super-crisp dress shirt (for a job interview, for example) then I’d recommend buying an over-the-door press pad so you can really work the creases:
How to Steam a Shirt with a Clothing Steamer
How to Fold a Dress Shirt
Last Updated on May 15, 2020